Are you curious about those circular objects dotting your city streets? Well, those round objects are manhole covers that is an important aspect of urban infrastructure planning. In this blog, we will help you explore the different types of manhole covers. We will shed light on their importance, materials, designs, and functionalities. So, if you are looking for the best manhole covers for an infrastructure project, continue reading the article. Get ready to gain a whole new perspective on these often-overlooked urban features.
What Are Manhole Covers?
Manhole covers are the round lids that you may often see on the sidewalks or in the streets. They are often constructed from materials like cast iron, concrete, or composites. These covers are placed on top of manholes. It serve as access points to underground utility networks including sewage lines, or cables.
They are different types of manhole covers available in the market. These manhole covers Kolkata serves a different purpose and have unique features. However, you must choose the one that is suitable for your construction project.
Make sure to buy the manhole cover from reputed manhole cover manufacturers. It will ensure that the manhole cover lasts longer and functions effectively.
Why Is It Important To Know About All Types Of Manhole Covers?
You might look for the perfect piece of manhole cover for your construction project. But before making a final decision it is crucial to learn about the types of manhole covers. Different types of manhole covers are made to serve specific functions.
Thus, gaining knowledge on all types helps professionals to choose the best cover for a specific area. Moreover, proper selection of these covers help prevent accidents and reduce the risk of unauthorized entry.
Various Types Of Manhole Covers
Listed below are some most popular manhole covers sold by reputed manhole cover manufacturers -
Cast Iron Manhole Covers
Cast iron manhole covers are robust coverings used to cover ground openings. They are made of cast iron, which is known for its strength and durability. Manhole covers made of cast iron are made to withstand enormous loads, like being driven over by cars, without breaking or bending. They can be often seen on streets, sidewalks, and other public areas.
Advantages Of Cast Iron Manhole Covers
- Cast iron manhole covers are extremely durable and strong. They can support the weight of machinery and trucks without breaking or bending them.
- These covers are extremely durable and resistant to a variety of weather conditions.
- Cast iron manhole covers include anti-slip surfaces that give workers and pedestrians a safe surface for walking. This helps prevent accidents caused by slips and falls, promoting safety in urban areas.
- These manhole covers are available in a variety of sizes and shapes, making them appropriate for use in a variety of settings.
FRP Manhole Covers
Fiber Reinforced Plastic manhole covers are durable lids used to cover openings in the ground. FRP manhole covers are composed of fiberglass and resin. As a result, they are both powerful and durable while being lightweight. FRP manhole covers have many benefits, including resistance to rust, corrosion, and chemicals. They are non-conductive and do not conduct electricity. So, they can be used safely close to electrical equipment.
Advantages Of FRP Manhole Covers
- FRP manhole covers are less heavy than conventional materials like cast iron or concrete. Because of this, there is less physical work involved in handling, transporting, and installing them.
- FRP coverings are extremely resistant to corrosion brought on by environmental causes. This makes them the best choice for installation in humid, coastal, or chemically exposed environments.
- FRP manhole covers are not valuable for scrap metal which reduces the risk of theft. The security of underground utility networks are ensured by their low resale value. It discourages thieves from targeting them.
- FRP covers lack electrical conductivity because they are non-conductive. As a result, they can be used safely in locations where electrical conductivity needs to be kept to a minimum.
Precast Concrete Manhole Covers
Precast concrete manhole covers are strong lids that are used to cover ground openings. These covers are made of concrete which is a robust and long-lasting material. They are often used in places like roads, highways, and industrial zones where strength and durability are crucial. Concrete manhole covers provide access to underground infrastructure. It allows workers to perform inspections, maintenance, and repairs.
Advantages Of Precast Concrete Manhole Covers
- Just like other manhole covers, precast manhole covers can also withstand heavy loads. They have a long lifespan, ensuring reliable performance over time.
- In comparison to other materials, precast concrete coverings are more affordable.
- They can withstand harsh weather environments without deteriorating.
- Without the right tools, precast concrete covers are challenging to remove. This increase security by preventing unauthorized access to underground utility networks.
Precast Concrete manhole covers can be further divided into four categories which are as follows-
RCC Trench Cover & Cable Trench Cover
RCC manhole covers are durable lids made of a strong material called reinforced concrete cement. These covers are placed on the top of the manholes, which are ground entrances used to get access to utilities like sewage, drainage, or electrical systems. RCC manhole covers are made to be substantial and strong enough to support the weight of moving vehicles and people. They are typically circular or rectangular, and the surface has a pattern or roughness to prevent slipping.
Similarly, RCC cable trench cover is a protective barrier designed to cover and secure cable trenches in various settings. These covers are often constructed from strong materials like steel, aluminum, or high-density polyethylene (HDPE) to withstand heavy weights and offer long-lasting protection. These covers ensure the smooth operation and safety of underground cable networks because they are easy to install, remove, and maintain.
Manhole covers made of reinforced concrete pipe culverts are robust covers for manholes. The use of reinforced concrete in their construction ensures that they can withstand heavy loads and resist cracking or breaking under pressure. RCPC manhole covers are spherical, making installation and removal simple. These covers offer a safe and reliable access point, which is crucial for maintaining and inspecting drainage systems. Additionally, they help to ensure the general security of vehicles and pedestrians by preventing collisions and injuries that may happen if a manhole were left exposed or inadequately sealed.
SFRC stands for Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete, which means that the cover is made from a mixture of concrete and steel fibers. The manhole cover is incredibly sturdy and long-lasting as a result of this combination, and able to withstand heavy loads and prevent unauthorized access. SFRC manhole covers are designed to offer a safe and solid platform for both vehicles and pedestrians. They're also slip-resistant which reduces the danger of accidents and injury even in wet places.
PFRC Manhole Cover
PFRC stands for Polymer Fiber Reinforced Concrete, which means that the cover is made from a mixture of concrete and polymer fibers. PFRC manhole covers are designed to be strong and resistant to corrosion. They also provide a stable surface, making them a reliable choice for covering underground openings. Their anti-theft feature is designed to fit tightly into the frame which makes them difficult to remove without specialized tools. This prevents theft and unauthorized access to underground utilities. Moreover, you can customize these manhole covers according to your specific requirements.